Early Education in the ISD
If you or someone you know is interested in Early Education in the Independence School District, we are now scheduling screenings for possible enrollment.
The Independence School District understands the critical importance of engaging early learners from birth to age five for a lifetime of successful education. The ISD has one of the largest Early Education Programs in the state of Missouri. We staff highly trained and credentialed teachers and proudly use Creative Curriculum. The daily routine followed in all early education classrooms is designed to provide opportunities for children to function as planners, decision makers and problem solvers by making and completing plans daily. Our learners participate in dramatic play, art, writing, math, science, computers, construction, nap time and nature walks among many other activities. The Early Education Program allows students to learn in a variety of environments and provides children with experiences to prepare for Kindergarten.
The ISD has two early education centers in the Sunshine Center and Hanthorn Early Education Center. In addition, the ISD offers Early Education programs at many of our elementary schools, including Benton, Blackburn, Glendale, Korte, Little Blue, Luff, Mill Creek, Ott, Randall, Santa Fe, Sycamore and William Southern.
We are completing screenings through video conferencing and during scheduled in-person appointments in July.
Masks are required in all ISD schools and ISD buildings as guided by the Jackson County Phase 2.5 requirements. The following individuals are exempt from the requirement to wear a face covering per the Jackson County Health Department:
- Children younger than five years old
- Children who are younger than two years old should never wear face coverings due to the risk of suffocation.
- Children who are two, three, or four years old, with the assistance and close supervision of an adult, are strongly recommended to wear a face covering in public.
In-person screenings will include the following precautions:
- Every child, parent and staff member will have a temporal temperature taken upon arrive. Those with a fever will be asked to leave.
- We strictly adhere to cleaning and sanitizing procedures.
- Early Education staff members will wear face coverings during screenings.
- Face coverings may be worn by children and parents but are not required.
- In-person screening times and slots will be limited to adhere to current social distancing guidelines. Additional time is scheduled between screenings to allow for sanitizing of spaces and items used.
- Screenings will include paperwork to be completed by parents, a child vision screening and development screening. Items used for screenings will be sanitized following each use.
- Hand sanitizer will be available.
- Tape and visual cues will be marked on the floor for social distancing.
We would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please call 816-521-5314 to learn more and to schedule an appointment.