ISD Introduces ZPass for Bus Riders

Posted May 20, 2021

The ISD will be utilizing a program called ZPass beginning in the Fall of 2021 with a pilot in Summer Success. The ZPass is a student ID card that K-8 bus riders will swipe as they board the bus each day and each time they disembark to ensure student safety. All K-8 bus riders will be issued a ZPass in August. Summer Success sites utilizing the ZPass are Bryant Elementary, Mill Creek Elementary, Bingham Middle School and Bridger Middle School. Bus riders for those Summer Success sites will receive a ZPass on the first day of summer school and should carry it at all times. Elementary students should carry a backpack for Summer Success and staff will assist in attaching the pass to their backpack on the first day.

ZPass in the Independence School District


What is the ZPass Program? 

The ZPass Program is a student identification system designed specifically for school bus transportation. The ZPass System allows the District to see where and what time students get on and off district buses, helping to ensure student safety. 

How does the ZPass work? 

Students will receive ZPass cards that they must carry to ride the bus. An electronic reader installed on the bus will identify each student upon entering or leaving the bus. The time, date, and location of each student is logged and transmitted to a secure, confidential database. This information is then used to determine busload counts and is readily available in case of an emergency, including if a student exits the bus at the wrong stop. 

What are the benefits of the program? 

The program will provide a reliable way to identify student bus riders. In addition to the safety component, ZPass will provide real time data that will improve communication to parents and school sites, yield accurate data on student ridership, and enable the Transportation Department to be more efficient as they develop bus routes and bus stops. 

If my child forgets his/her ZPass; can he/she still ride the bus? 

Yes, your student will be allowed to ride the bus. If your student does not have the ZPass when boarding the bus, he/she should notify the driver at that time. 

What if my child loses his/her ZPass? 

Your student should report the lost card to the bus driver or you can notify your child’s school to prevent the unauthorized use of the card. The lost card will become inactive, and a new card will be issued in a timely manner.

Will there be any cost for replacement cards? 

The first lost card will be replaced at no charge, but additional replacements may result in a charge.