Transportation and Maintenance Department
900 S. Powell Road
Independence, MO 64056
Due to inclement weather it may become necessary for school officials to cancel school or shorten the day for the safety and welfare of the staff and students. When this occurs the following three options will be considered.
School Closing for Complete Day:
If inclement weather appears sever enough to merit closing schools for the complete day, determination will be made as soon as practical, with notification to staff, parents, and students through designated channels of commuunication.
If the school day begins, but the weather becomes (or is predicted to become) inclement, school may close two hours early. A decision to dismiss early is generally made by 10:00 AM, with lunch served prior to dismissal.
If inclement weather is predicted to intensify throughout the night, but reduces its intensity during the morning hours, a decision may be made to start school two hours later. Bus pickup times and school starting times would be delayed by two hours. Lunch and afternoon dismissal will be at the regular time. Part–day Head Start classes will not meet on these days. Unless notified, the Child and Family Learning Centers will operate on the regular schedule.
Using this tool you can search for your home address and find out what schools your student would attend.
Find out if schools are closed due to weather using these options:
- Dial from a touchtone phone 521-5305
- Visit www.indep.k12.mo.us
- Listen to major radio stations and⁄or watch the television news.
- Daryl Huddleston, Director of Transportation
- Donelda Williams, Assistant Director of Transportation
- Bruce Maples, Transportation Supervisor
- Kelly Blosser. Transportation Supervisor
- Brad Oyler, Fleet Supervisor
- Randi Mallett, Trip/Activity Coordinator
Bus Rider’s Policies:
Please remember that riding a bus is a privilege and not a right.
All riders must help to make the bus ride safe for all students. Unfortunately, if they do not, they will be removed from the privilege of riding the bus for the safety of all concerned.
Expectations and tips for safe school bus riding
Steps to a safe ride
1. Follow the bus driver's directions.
2. Be at the bus stop 5 minutes before and stay at least 5 minutes after your stop time.
3. Line up in single line at the side of the road, no pushing or shoving.
4. Sit on your seat, not on knees or backpack
5. Speak quietly to each other.
6. Keep hands feet and other items to yourself on the bus.
7. No food/ drinks/gum/candy on the bus.
• Students are expected to help keep the bus clean and not purposely or carelessly destroy transportation equipment.
• Damage resulting from misbehavior shall be paid for by the student. Suspension from the bus will occur and continue until all damage is paid for.
• Students will show consideration for other students and the bus driver by being courteous and well mannered. No profanity or other abusive language.
Bus Assignment & Stops
• All students must ride to school and home on their regularly assigned bus.
• Any point of pick-up or departure different from the home must be approved by the administration.
• Drivers will not transport any person not regularly assigned to the bus without prior authorization.
Safety Infraction Steps
1st card warning
2nd card mailed warning notice
3rd card 3 day suspension
4th card 5 day suspension
5th card 10 day suspension
6th card Loss of service for remainder of semester-plus conference.
• Insubordination/disrespect to the driver
• Flagrant disregard for safety of others
The above conduct will result in loss of transportation for 10 days or longer
Violent Acts, Sexual Harassment & Bullying
Will be processed in accordance with school policy and may include both, Out of School Suspension and loss of bus service.
• Last day of school – Conduct card will result in a 2 week suspension from bus service the following year
• Summer School -1 card will result in loss of summer service
The documents that follow review our policy. Please study them and discuss them with your children. The more aware they are and informed of what safety is, the more likely they will become safe bus riders.
Children suspended from their regular bus may not ride Independence Public School buses including late activity buses until their suspension has been served. Suspension from the bus is a good time for discussion between parent and child about safety issues.