Creating healthy partnerships with families to promote a community of safety, trust, and resilience.
To support and encourage children and families to achieve a greater degree of self-sufficiency: to achieve a strong self-worth and self-confidence; to establish and work towards child and family goals; and to build a foundation for school readiness and later school success.
The Independence School District understands the critical importance of engaging early learners from birth to age five for a lifetime of successful education. The ISD has one of the largest Early Education Programs in the state of Missouri. We staff highly trained and credentialed teachers and proudly use Creative Curriculum. The daily routine followed in all early education classrooms is designed to provide opportunities for children to function as planners, decision makers and problem solvers by making and completing plans daily. Our learners participate in dramatic play, art, writing, math, science, computers, construction, nap time and nature walks among many other activities. The Early Education Program allows students to learn in a variety of environments and provides children with experiences to prepare for Kindergarten. The ISD has two early education centers in the Sunshine Center and Hanthorn Early Education Center. In addition, the ISD offers Early Education programs at many of our elementary schools, including Benton, Blackburn, Cassell Park, Glendale, Korte, Little Blue, Luff, Mill Creek, Ott, Randall, Santa Fe, Spring Branch, Sugar Creek, Sycamore and William Southern.
To begin the registration process, click here. In order to complete enrollment, please call 816-521-5314 to schedule your child’s screening appointment.
Documents needed for enrollment:
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization Records
- Health Insurance Card
- Names, Addresses and Home/Work/Mobile Phone Numbers of Three Emergency Contacts
- Name, Address and Phone Number of Child’s Doctor
- Name, Address and Phone Number of Child’s Dentist
To prove residency, bring an electric or gas bill from the last 30 days from your current address and one of the following:
- Copy of Mortgage Payment, Deed of Trust or Housing Contract
- Copy of Rental Agreement
- Copy of Lease Agreement
- Copy of Jackson County Paid Personal Property Tax Receipt
If applying for Headstart assistance, you will also need:
- Proof of All Income Within the Last 12 Months
- Pay stub with year to date amount (most recent pay stub, W-2 or 1040)
- SSI, TANF, Child Support or Placement Papers (if foster child)
- Social Security Numbers of All Household Residents
- SNAP (food stamp) Case Number (if applicable)
- WIC ID Number (if applicable)
Parents As Teachers
Parents As Teachers is a free home-visiting program in the Independence School District for parents of children younger than three, designed to connect families with child development resources. Click here to learn more about Parents As Teachers.