Transportation Department 816-521-5335
Independence School District Transportation Guidelines
While bus-transportation is available, families needed to request service during the registration process. Due to COVID-19 social distancing recommendations, it is highly recommended students provide their own transportation. The Independence School District will provide transportation to students living one mile or more from their school of residence.
Routes and Stops
Bus stops have been established by the Transportation Department in accordance with guidelines established by the Department of Education, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and Independence School District Policies and Procedures.
- Buses in general will only travel along main streets
- Buses will not make house stops
- Buses will stop at a safe, identifiable intersection
- Stop distances will be based on grade level and developmental appropriateness
- Stops will be placed on corners and/or common ground when possible
- Bus stops will not be closer than 500 feet apart
- Buses will not enter dead-end/cul-de-sac streets/roads
- Students may only ride when they have been issued a bus pass and can only ride the bus they are assigned based on their residence
- Middle and high school students must carry their bus pass and school ID
- Students, bus drivers and attendants are required to wear face coverings.
- Please be aware that drivers who wear glasses may pull their face covering down slightly while driving if glasses are fogging up. Face coverings will be properly worn at all times students are entering and exiting buses but may be adjusted slightly for driving safety while everyone is seated.
- Students should line up 6 feet apart at bus stops.
- Parents are required to provide face coverings for students riding the bus. Face coverings should be worn at all times on the bus. Face coverings can be cloth or disposable.
- All students boarding the bus will be required to use hand sanitizer upon entering the bus. Hand sanitizer is available on all buses.
- Students will have assigned seats on the bus.
- Students who do not follow all safety protocols will have bus privileges revoked. This is to ensure the safety and security of all students.
- Upon arrival at the school site, students will remain seated until they are dismissed by the attendant/bus driver to ensure proper social distancing.
Parents/guardians are strongly encouraged to escort their children to and from the bus stop. If you feel your child’s bus stop should be changed, please fill out the “Stop Change Request Form”. Please note that stops will not be changed because of requests related to walking distance, visibility of stop from residence or absence of sidewalks. Please include your contact information and understand that responses will take time.
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) reimburses schools for transporting students living farther than one mile from their school. Students residing within one mile of school may apply for districts transportation service through parent pay. The Transportation Department will consider each request to determine if there is available space on the bus and safe access to an existing stop. A new request form must be submitted and approved each year.
Back to School
Please note that during a regular school year, the ISD safely transports more than 10,000 students each day. During the first week of school, students should arrive at the bus stop 10 minutes before the published stop time. Run times may vary during the first week of school until all students have registered and adjustments are made due to traffic, construction and final student data. After the first week of school, students should arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes before the stop time.
One-Day Ride Pass
Due to Covid-19, One Day Ride Passes may be restricted based on Health Department guidelines. Please contact your school for assistance.
Second Bus Pass
Second Bus Passes can be provided for Secondary students. Please contact your school for assistance. Due to Covid-19, Second Bus Passes may be restricted based on Health Department guidelines.
The district encourages parents to accompany their kindergarten students to and from the bus stop. The ISD does not mandate parent presence but for new riders, parent support is helpful.
Student Conduct and Discipline
Students whose conduct poses a safety hazard, disruption or distraction for the driver will lose their riding privileges and any fees paid will be forfeited. Student discipline is handled through the Transportation Department by the Student Safety Supervisor. Student conduct expectations:
- Follow the bus driver’s directions
- Provide full and correct name when requested by the driver
- Be at the bus stop five minutes before your assigned stop time
- Line up in a single line at the side of the road with no pushing or shoving
- Sit on your seat, not on knees or backpacks
- Keep the aisle clear. Keep hands feet and other items to yourself on the bus.
- No food, drinks, gum or candy on the bus
- Students are expected to help keep the bus clean and not destroy transportation equipment
- Damage resulting from misbehavior shall be paid for by the student
- Suspension from the bus will occur and continue until all damage is paid for
- Students will show consideration for other students and the bus driver
- No profanity or other abusive language. No physical or verbal bullying
- Students are required to board and exit the bus at their assigned stop
Safety Infraction Steps
1st Card Warning (parent phone call to notify)
2nd Card 3 Day Suspension
3rd Card 5 Day Suspension
4th Card 10 Day Suspension
5th Card Loss of service or 30-day suspension, whichever is greater.
- Insubordination and/or disrespect to the driver
- Flagrant disregard for the safety of others, such as fighting
The above conduct will result in loss of transportation for 10 days or longer. Students involved in a second fight during the school year will lose transportation for the remainder of the school year. Students suspended from their regular bus may not ride Independence School District buses including late activity buses until their suspension has been served.
Items Deemed Unsafe for Transportation
Items deemed unsafe or too large to be carried on the student’s lap cannot be transported on the school bus. This can include musical instruments. Please contact your school for information.
Due to inclement weather, it may become necessary for school officials to cancel school or shorten the school day for the safety and welfare of students and staff. You will receive an automated phone call from the district if school is canceled or impacted by weather. It may be necessary to alter your child’s bus route due to road conditions. If your child is on a route that could be modified due to weather, you will receive a letter from the transportation department prior to the winter season.
Para informacion en espanol, comuniquese al 816-521-5394