District Busing Policy
The Independence School District will provide transportation to students living one mile or more from their school of residence. Transportation may be provided for students living less than one mile from school if pay ridership has been arranged and approved through the Transportation Department.
Routes and Stops
Bus stops have been established by the Transportation Department in accordance with guidelines established by the Department of Education, Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and Independence School District Policies and Procedures.
- Buses in general will only travel along main streets
- Buses will not make house stops
- Buses will stop at the closest and safest identifiable intersection
- Stop distances will be based on developmental appropriateness
- Stops will be placed on corners and/or common ground when possible
- Bus stops will not be closer than 500 feet apart
- Buses will not enter dead-end/cul-de-sac roads unless students have a walk of greater than ½ mile
- Students may only ride when they have been issued a bus pass and can only ride the bus they are assigned based on their residence
If you would like to request a change to your child’s bus stop, please fill out the “Stop Change Request Form”. Please complete the form in its entirety, making sure to provide contact information so we can respond to your request. All requests will be considered but not all will be granted. Please allow up to 48 hours for a response. Responses may take longer during busy times such as the start of the school year. We transport more than 10,000 students and want to carefully review each request.
The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) only reimburses schools for transporting students living farther than one mile away from their school. Students residing within one mile of school may apply to use the district’s transportation service through parent pay. All applications will be considered but may not all be granted. The Transportation Department will consider each request to determine if there is a safe stop available. Additional stops will not be created. Requests are approved based available space and a new form must be submitted and approved each year.
Back to School
Please note that the ISD safely transports more than 10,000 students each day. During the first week of school, students should arrive at the bus stop 10 minutes before the published stop time. Run times may vary during the first week of school until all students have registered and adjustments are made due to traffic, construction and final student data. After the first week of school, students should arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes before the stop time.
One-Day Ride Pass
To assist parents and students when an emergency arises, a one-day ride pass may be issued. Please contact your school for assistance.
The District encourages parents to accompany their kindergarten students to and from the bus stop. The ISD does not mandate a parent presence but with new and young riders, parent support is helpful.
Student Conduct and Discipline
Students whose conduct poses a safety hazard, disruption or distraction for the driver will lose their riding privileges and any fees forfeited. Student discipline is handled through the Transportation Department by the Student Safety Supervisor. Student conduct expectations are as follows:
- Follow the bus driver’s directions
- Be at the bus stop five minutes before your assigned stop time
- Line up in a single line at the side of the road with no pushing or shoving
- Sit on your seat, not on knees or backpacks
- Keep hands feet and other items to yourself on the bus
- No food, drinks, gum or candy on the bus
- Students are expected to help keep the bus clean and not destroy transportation equipment
- Damage resulting from misbehavior shall be paid for by the student
- Suspension from the bus will occur and continue until all damage is paid for
- Students will show consideration for other students and the bus driver by being courteous and well mannered
- No profanity or other abusive language
Safety Infraction Steps
- 1st card – warning
- 2nd card – mailed warning notice
- 3rd card – 3 day suspension
- 4th card – 5 day suspension
- 5th card – 10 day suspension
- 6th card – loss of service for remainder of semester
Insubordination and/or disrespect to the driver
Flagrant disregard for the safety of others, such as fighting
The above conduct will result in loss of transportation for 10 days or longer. Students suspended from their regular bus may not ride Independence School District buses including late activity buses until their suspension has been served.
Items Deemed Unsafe for Transportation
Items deemed unsafe or too large to be carried on the student’s lap cannot be transported on the school bus. This can include musical instruments. Please contact your school for additional information.
Due to inclement weather, it may become necessary for school officials to cancel school or shorten the school day for the safety and welfare of students and staff. You will receive an automated phone call from the district if school is cancelled or impacted by weather. You can also check www.isdschools.org for that information.