Progress As Promised in the Independence School District
The $43 million bond passed with the support of 84.75% of voters in the Independence School District. Superintendent Dr. Dale Herl says, “I want to extend my thanks to all of the voters who have had a direct impact on the future success of the ISD.”
The bond projects include safety and security improvements, fine arts and auditorium renovations and playground upgrades. The bond also includes facility maintenance and improvement projects throughout the District.
The bond includes significant investments in the safety and security of students and staff, ensuring that every school in the District has a vestibule with double door secure entrance.
Performing Arts is also a key component of the bond, as ISD middle and high schools will receive auditorium, choir, band and orchestra room renovations and improvements. Watch exciting moments as crews began work at ISD high school auditoriums here.
ISD elementary schools will receive playground equipment upgrades and all weather surfacing.
Facility maintenance and additional needed projects include classroom renovations, asphalt and concrete repairs, HVAC maintenance, roof repairs, window replacement and field and parking lot lighting. Bond projects also include tennis courts and a softball field at Truman and William Chrisman and stadium seating at Van Horn High School. This will allow student-athletes to practice and compete on their campus.
The bond projects were identified by patrons, parents, students, teachers and community members through our Comprehensive School Improvement Plan (CSIP) process. The projects outlined in this $43 million bond, allow this to remain a no tax increase bond.
Bond Project Timeline
The project completion dates are approximate as weather and building conditions as well as delivery of materials play a role. The majority of projects would be completed in the summers of 2021 and 2022 with all projects completed by the summer of 2023.
- Double door secure entrances as Blackburn, Bryant, Glendale, Independence Academy, Procter, Santa Fe, Spring Branch and Sycamore Hills (COMPLETE)
- Playground upgrades at 17 elementary buildings (COMPLETE)
- Luff Elementary parking lot expansion (COMPLETE)
- Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) classrooms renovations at Truman, Van Horn and William Chrisman (COMPLETE)
- Truman High School choir, orchestra and auditorium renovations (COMPLETE)
- Maximize front drive parking at Truman High School (COMPLETE)
- William Chrisman High School band, orchestra, Little Theater, auditorium renovations (COMPLETE)
- Eight-lane track with natural grass football field and parking at Nowlin Middle School (COMPLETE)
- Softball field, javelin area and tennis courts at Truman and William Chrisman High School (COMPLETE)
- Van Horn High School stadium seating and press box (COMPLETE)
- Van Horn turf replacement (COMPLETE)
- Double door secure entrances at Bridger, Hanthorn, Mill Creek, Ott, Randall, Sugar Creek and William Southern
- Pioneer Ridge band/orchestra room (COMPLETE)
- Van Horn kitchen and cafeteria (COMPLETE)
- Van Horn High School band, choir, and orchestra renovations (COMPLETE)
- Van Horn High School auditorium renovations
- Industrial Arts classroom renovations at Truman
- Science classrooms renovations at Bridger and Nowlin
- Nowlin band room
- Window replacement at Nowlin and Korte
- Lunchroom renovation at Three Trails
- District asphalt improvements