Legislative Priority Positions
In the interest of public education in the Independence School District, we ask members of the Missouri General Assembly to:
- Support the full funding of state mandates in accordance with the Missouri Constitution.
- Support providing appropriations for fully funding the Foundation Formula.
- Support maintaining the integrity of the current Foundation Formula and avoid adjustments that would significantly alter the manner in which the Formula is distributed.
- Oppose legislation that would divert revenue to non-public educational entities.
- Oppose transferring students out of unaccredited school districts as it is not in the best interest of all students and will not lead to improvement of unaccredited districts.
- Support local school district authority to make the decisions about matters such as: open enrollment; employee compensation and working conditions; class sizes; curriculum and instruction materials; professional development; program and employee evaluation; and school calendar.
- Support a consistent set of standards and tools to measure the progress of students and meet their educational needs while allowing districts to respond and implement these changes without further disruption to state standards or tests.
- Support a change in the bonding capacity for school districts from 15% to 20% of the district’s assessment valuation.
- Oppose charter school expansion as law currently exists. All local tax funds should be under the control of a publicly elected board.