Proof of Residency
In order to enroll in the Independence School District, each family must prove residency annually. To prove residency, the following documentation is needed:
- An Electric or Gas Bill from the current address (no more than 30 days old)
AND one of the following
- Copy of Mortgage Payment, Deed of Trust, or Housing Contract
- Copy of Rental Agreement,
- Copy of Lease Agreement,
- Copy of Jackson County Paid Personal Property Tax Receipt
If you do not have the appropriate documentation, you may be asked to make another appointment so you can provide the documentation before student(s) will be enrolled. Please have a Photo ID with you also to verify name on bill matches parent/guardian enrolling student. If you are unable to provide documents in your name as proof of residency, please see Residency Affidavit information or call Admissions at 816-521-5588.
A residency affidavit is required when a student is living with an Independence School District resident in order to prove residency within school district boundaries. This document must be renewed annually.
If your student will require a Residency Affidavit for the 2023-2024 school year, you must register and enroll them:
Wednesday July 12 – Friday July 21, 2023
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Independence Arts & Technology building (on the Square, 315 N. Main St.)
You must bring the following items with you:
- The district resident with whom you reside. This person must be present, with a valid photo ID.
- Printed copy of most recent utility bill, dated within 30 days (gas or electric).
- Printed copy of district resident’s lease, mortgage statement, or deed.
- Printed copy of parent proof of residency (paystub, bank statement, court documents, are accepted documents).
- Your valid legal photo ID.
Please complete your student’s online registration at https://registration.isdschools.org/#/ prior to renewing your affidavit. If you have any questions, please call 816-521-5588.
Residency Affidavit Forms
Residency Affidavit 2023-2024
Residency Affidavit 2023-2024 (en Espanol)
You may print this form and bring the completed paperwork in with you — or — you many do this on-site at the enrollment event mentioned above.